Map Marker Roadmap
Note: this is my mindset at the moment, not a promise. I use the prefix "iOS/Web feature gap" for features already in the
Android app but not implemented in the iOS app and the web app
Currently working on...
Investigating some technology to make the app development faster: Flutter.
I might be switching to that, and if I do, there will be a significant time without new features as I rebuild the app.
The end goal is that if I do, it will make future feature development way faster after.
Currently when I build features, I have to build them in 2 separate projects: "Android" and "React Native" (iOS + Web).
With flutter, I might be able to have a single project and limit the duplicate work.
- Track recording: recording the device location over time as one POI entry
- Quick actions: ability to modify a marker and its custom fields without entering the edit page
- Bulk addess import: street addresses / postal code import without lat/lng information
- Route planning: optimal route calculation + starting navigation with multiple markers
Other good ideas
- Bringing other missing features from Android to iOS
- Floating marker titles
- Coordinates window + manual coordinates entering
- KMZ web images import: downloading web images from a third-party KMZ while importing it
- tags for markers with search by tag
- better offline maps
- quick picture mode (setting to open directly camera, or gallery, or camera internally)
- pictures annotations (shapes, arrow, text, etc.)
- print marker to PDF, with map, snapshot, title, description, etc.
- snackbar for cancelling marker deletion
- new marker title/description pre-fill parameters: address, date, time, number, folder name, arbitrary string
- unfoldable folders in the left panel allowing a quick navigation to markers
- have the possibility to hide folders from the tree, accessible from a "hidden folders" sub-list
- color auto assign for new created folders
- make the system bar and the navigation bar transparent so that we can see the map through it
- voice notes
- left handed mode (showing the action buttons at the left)
- have different sort options (once more fields are added to markers: title, description, creation date, any other date, distance to current location, distance to specific marker, etc.)
- more actions based on multiple markers selection (send phone, send email, etc.)
- SMS mass sending with number in selected markers
- Search filter to filter displayed markers on the map
- Export all images of a marker
- Read out marker info (voice synth) on marker select
- Bluetooth sharing with Garmin or TomTom GPS devices
- Widget to mark current location
- Alarm when nearing a POI
- Make map snapshots larger than the screen
- Auto address filling in marker creation
- Altitude lookup for markers
- Temperature lookup for markers
- GPX import/export
- UTM import/export
- Pinning folders: arbitrary ordering
- Folders auto collapsing with setting
- Renaming search result before adding to the map
- Smarter camera re-positioning when switching map file
- When guiding to a marker, draw a straight line to destination
- Share action to have the list of folders with checkboxes instead of one menu item per folder
- Start navigation between 2 points, not from current location
- Add a calendar reminder for a marker, with Google calendar integration
- Proximity alert: display a notification when nearing a given marker
- Attaching any file type to a marker, not only images